I’m not yet a racing drone pilot, but I want to learn. Instead of rushing into buying a drone I decided that it would be wiser, first, to learn piloting with a drone simulator: Liftoff. I have a PlayStation 3 controller for gaming, so I used it to get an idea on how it is to fly a racing drone in acro.
After learning some skills with Liftoff, I plan to buy one of these transmitters:
- FrSky Taranis Q X7 Transmitter, 115 USD, with a more ergonomic and minimalist design
- Taranis Q X7 battery, 12.5 USD
- Taranis Q X7 official page
- FrSky Taranis X-LITE Transmitter, 130 USD, for console gamers or so called “thumber” pilots: it just feels better in your hands
- Taranis X-Lite official page
The choice of the transmitter is essential. Do your own research before buying one. Personally, for me the Q X7 seems the best choice to begin with. Eventually when I’ll be experienced and passionate enough I may buy the smaller X-Lite for the portability. But for now I need to spend more time on the simulator…